Fay Canyon elopement planning & inspiration in Sedona, Arizona
When most people think of eloping in Sedona, they think of wide open red rock panoramas and death-defying cliff drops like Cathedral Rock and Merry Go Round. Fay Canyon rarely gets a second glance when compared to some of the more insta-famous elopement locations, but here is a breakdown why I believe you should give this canyon another look when planning your Sedona elopement…
- First, privacy. Fay Canyon trail is less traveled than much of Sedona. Not only are there less people, but with the trail following through the base of a canyon, you find yourself enveloped by towering red walls and trees, creating a more secluded and intimate atmosphere.
- Which brings me to my Second favorite thing about this trail- shade! Fay Canyon is a beautiful location year round, but it is one of my personal go-tos during the hotter months of the year. Sedona often reaches triple digit temperatures in the summertime, which makes having location choices that include a way to escape the sun an absolute must for elopements between the months of June through August. * A quick word of caution, trails through the base of canyons lined with washes like this one provide no easy escape in the case of flash flooding, so should be avoided if there are summer monsoon rainstorms in the forecast.
- Third, that view! While the trail itself is more covered with trees and gigantic red cliff walls towering over you, once you reach the Supai sandstone cliff at the end the view is absolutely breathtaking!
To sum it up, Fay Canyon offers million dollar views with minimal effort at an easy 2.6 mile roundtrip, seclusion and intimacy provided by the canyon walls and abundant evergreens, making it a perfect choice for a Sedona elopement without the crowds.
Fay Canyon Elopement Info at a Glance
- Location Cost: No special permit at this time
- Guests: 0-10
- Setups Allowed: None
- Accessibility: This is a shorter 2.6 mile easy hike with a moderate climb at the end revealing gorgeous layered views up the canyon and valley beyond. Under a 400ft elevation gain.
- Parking: Limited parking available at the trailhead (Red Rock Pass or America the Beautiful Pass required)
Looking for more information to help you while planning your Sedona Elopement or Intimate Wedding including marriage legalities, things to do, and vendor recommendations?
Check out the full Sedona Elopement Guide
Madison and Landon’s Romantic Fay Canton Adventure Elopement in Sedona, Arizona
To say that I was excited when these two beautiful souls agreed to hike up through one of my favorite less traveled canyons in Sedona is an understatement!
Madi and Landon drove up from Phoenix to spend their evening surrounded by the red rocks of Sedona’s Fay Canyon. We had a short but sweet afternoon hike with time for the two of them to joke around, explore, and truly connect with each other during their Fay Canyon Elopement. The red sandstone contrasting with the dark green evergreen trees and bushes laid a perfect backdrop for a romantic, fun day.
They chose to keep the feel more casual, with Madi opting for sandals to go with her pink and cream dresses by Lulus, while Landon wore boots, jeans and a button up shirt.
and I want to be your Elopement or Wedding Photographer!
I love helping couples visualize and craft an experience that feels true to you. The way your marriage begins matters, and I would love to help you tell your story. Set your marriage up for success by allowing yourself to get married your way!
What to read next: