Fay Canyon elopement planning & inspiration in Sedona, Arizona
When most people think of eloping in Sedona, they think of wide open red rock panoramas and death-defying cliff drops like Cathedral Rock and Merry Go Round. Fay Canyon rarely gets a second glance when compared to some of the more insta-famous elopement locations, but here is a breakdown why I believe you should give this canyon another look when planning your Sedona elopement…
- First, privacy. Fay Canyon trail is less traveled than much of Sedona. Not only are there less people, but with the trail following through the base of a canyon, you find yourself enveloped by towering red walls and trees, creating a more secluded and intimate atmosphere.
- Which brings me to my Second favorite thing about this trail- shade! Fay Canyon is a beautiful location year round, but it is one of my personal go-tos during the hotter months of the year. Sedona often reaches triple digit temperatures in the summertime, which makes having location choices that include a way to escape the sun an absolute must for elopements between the months of June through August. * A quick word of caution, trails through the base of canyons lined with washes like this one provide no easy escape in the case of flash flooding, so should be avoided if there are summer monsoon rainstorms in the forecast.
- Third, that view! While the trail itself is more covered with trees and gigantic red cliff walls towering over you, once you reach the Supai sandstone cliff at the end the view is absolutely breathtaking!
To sum it up, Fay Canyon offers million dollar views with minimal effort at an easy 2.6 mile roundtrip, seclusion and intimacy provided by the canyon walls and abundant evergreens, making it a perfect choice for a Sedona elopement without the crowds.
Fay Canyon Elopement Info at a Glance
- Location Cost: No special permit at this time
- Guests: 0-10
- Setups Allowed: None
- Accessibility: This is a shorter 2.6 mile easy hike with a moderate climb at the end revealing gorgeous layered views up the canyon and valley beyond. Under a 400ft elevation gain.
- Parking: Limited parking available at the trailhead (Red Rock Pass or America the Beautiful Pass required)
Madison and Landon’s Romantic Fay Canton Adventure Elopement in Sedona, Arizona
To say that I was excited when these two beautiful souls agreed to hike up through one of my favorite less traveled canyons in Sedona is an understatement!
Madi and Landon drove up from Phoenix to spend their evening surrounded by the red rocks of Sedona’s Fay Canyon. We had a short but sweet afternoon hike with time for the two of them to joke around, explore, and truly connect with each other during their Fay Canyon Elopement. The red sandstone contrasting with the dark green evergreen trees and bushes laid a perfect backdrop for a romantic, fun day.
They chose to keep the feel more casual, with Madi opting for sandals to go with her pink and cream dresses by Lulus, while Landon wore boots, jeans and a button up shirt.
and I want to be your Elopement or Wedding Photographer!
I love helping couples visualize and craft an experience that feels true to you. The way your marriage begins matters, and I would love to help you tell your story. Set your marriage up for success by allowing yourself to get married your way!
What to read next:
How you broke this up is so easy to read with the “at a glance” and “get inspired categories. I’m definitely adding Fay Canyon to my list!
Glad it helped lay things out for you!
This area is just stunning and I love the inspiration and editing style! I want to be here right now.
Thank you! Sedona is one of my favorite places. I always want to be there!
Oh my gosh! i really wanna go there it looks so beautiful! Thank you for showing this place. so beautiful pictures!
It is an absolute gem 😉
I LOVE your editing style! Super pretty!
Thank you so much!
This is such a well organized post! Thanks for putting this together and I love your pics!! Cute couple!
I’m glad you liked it! There are soooooo many gorgeous locations in Sedona beyond the most heavily trafficked areas 🙂
This is all really helpful info about Fay Canyon! Sedona is truly a treasure and now I have a new canyon I want to visit! I love that this Fay Canyon elopement was so sweet and laid back, and you did such an amazing job capturing the magic!
Sedona is pure magic! The great thing about Fay Canyon is you can do it as a stand alone, or as an easier hike after a day exploring.
That second photo on this blog post is SO beautiful, caught my eye right away! Sedona is magical, and your work is beautiful!
Thank you so much! Sedona is one of my very favorite places. I love that it is right up the road and I get to work here so often.
I look forward to checking this area out next time I’m in Sedona! You’ve done a wonderful job with this helpful resource! I love your moody photos of this gorgeous couple – BRAVO! (And I love his name – my son’s name, too, same spelling!)
Thank you Amy! 10 out of 10 recommend 😉
I am totally diggin this wealth of information on Fay Canyon, complete with stunning photo examples!
So glad you enjoyed it! Hit me up when you come out this way <3